Valid for Submission
E28.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of androgen excess. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code E28.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like androgen excess caused by drug, hyperandrogenemia, hyperandrogenization syndrome, hypergonadism, hypersecretion of ovarian androgens, increased androgen level, etc
The code E28.1 is applicable to female patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient.
|Short Description:||Androgen excess|
|Long Description:||Androgen excess|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code E28.1:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Hypersecretion of ovarian androgens
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug T36 T50
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code E28.1 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for females only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Androgen excess caused by drug
- Hyperandrogenization syndrome
- Hypersecretion of ovarian androgens
- Increased androgen level
- Increased testosterone level
- Ovarian hyperfunction
- Ovarian hypersecretion
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code E28.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 742 - UTERINE AND ADNEXA PROCEDURES FOR NON-MALIGNANCY WITH CC/MCC
- 743 - UTERINE AND ADNEXA PROCEDURES FOR NON-MALIGNANCY WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert E28.1 to ICD-9
- 256.1 - Ovarian hyperfunc NEC (Approximate Flag)
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00–E90)
Disorders of other endocrine glands (E20-E35)
Ovarian dysfunction (E28)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020