Diagnosis Code E28
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code E28 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- isolated gonadotropin deficiency (E23.0)
- postprocedural ovarian failure (E89.4-)
Information for Patients
The ovaries are part of the female reproductive system. Women have two ovaries, one on each side of the uterus. Each ovary is about the size and shape of an almond.
The ovaries produce and store a woman's eggs. During ovulation, an ovary releases an egg. If that egg is fertilized by a sperm, a pregnancy can occur. Ovaries also make the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. When a woman goes through menopause, her ovaries stop making those hormones and releasing eggs.
Problems with the ovaries include
- Ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cysts and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Primary ovarian insufficiency
- Ovarian torsion, a twisting of the ovary
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ovarian overproduction of androgens (Medical Encyclopedia)