Not Valid for Submission
E28.31 is a non-specific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of premature menopause. The code is not specific and is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Premature menopause
Non-specific codes like E28.31 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for premature menopause:
- MENOPAUSE PREMATURE-. the premature cessation of menses menstruation when the last menstrual period occurs in a woman under the age of 40. it is due to the depletion of ovarian follicles. premature menopause can be caused by diseases; ovariectomy; radiation; chemicals; and chromosomal abnormalities.
Information for Patients
Also called: Change of life
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when her period stops. It usually occurs naturally, most often after age 45. Menopause happens because the woman's ovaries stop producing the hormones estrogen and progesterone.
A woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for one year. Changes and symptoms can start several years earlier. They include
- A change in periods - shorter or longer, lighter or heavier, with more or less time in between
- Hot flashes and/or night sweats
- Trouble sleeping
- Vaginal dryness
- Mood swings
- Trouble focusing
- Less hair on head, more on face
Some symptoms require treatment. Talk to your doctor about how to best manage menopause. Make sure the doctor knows your medical history and your family medical history. This includes whether you are at risk for heart disease, osteoporosis, or breast cancer.
Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- Cancer treatment -- early menopause (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Deciding about hormone therapy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Menopause (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Types of hormone therapy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- What is Menopause? - NIH (National Institute on Aging)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]