Not Valid for Submission
T88 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of other complications of surgical and medical care, not elsewhere classified. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code T88:
Type 2 ExcludesType 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- complication following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection T80
- complication following procedure NEC T81
- complications of anesthesia in labor and delivery O74
- complications of anesthesia in pregnancy O29
- complications of anesthesia in puerperium O89
- complications of devices, implants and grafts T82 T85
- complications of obstetric surgery and procedure O75.4
- dermatitis due to drugs and medicaments L23.3 L24.4 L25.1 L27.0 L27.1
- poisoning and toxic effects of drugs and chemicals T36 T65
- specified complications classified elsewhere
7th Character Note7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category T88
7th Character7th Character
Indicates that a seventh character is to be assigned to codes in a subcategory.
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela