Diagnosis Code E24.3
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code E24.3 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 643 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 644 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITH CC
- 645 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 255.0 - Cushing's syndrome (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone secretion
- Ectopic production of endocrine substance
- Paraneoplastic ectopic secretion of adrenocorticotropic hormone
Information for Patients
Also called: Hypercortisolism
Cushing's syndrome is a hormonal disorder. The cause is long-term exposure to too much cortisol, a hormone that your adrenal gland makes. Sometimes, taking synthetic hormone medicine to treat an inflammatory disease leads to Cushing's. Some kinds of tumors produce a hormone that can cause your body to make too much cortisol.
Cushing's syndrome is rare. Some symptoms are
- Upper body obesity
- Thin arms and legs
- Severe fatigue and muscle weakness
- High blood pressure
- High blood sugar
- Easy bruising
Lab tests can show if you have it and find the cause. Your treatment will depend on why you have too much cortisol. If it is because you have been taking synthetic hormones, a lower dose may control your symptoms. If the cause is a tumor, surgery and other therapies may be needed.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- ACTH blood test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cortisol - urine (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cushing disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cushing syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cushing syndrome - exogenous (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cushing syndrome due to adrenal tumor (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Dexamethasone suppression test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ectopic Cushing syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)