Not Valid for Submission
X36 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of avalanche, landslide and other earth movements. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Avalanche, landslide and other earth movements|
|Long Description:||Avalanche, landslide and other earth movements|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- X36.0 - Collapse of dam or man-made structure causing earth movement
- X36.0XXA - Collapse of dam or man-made structure causing earth movement, initial encounter
- X36.0XXD - Collapse of dam or man-made structure causing earth movement, subsequent encounter
- X36.0XXS - Collapse of dam or man-made structure causing earth movement, sequela
- X36.1 - Avalanche, landslide, or mudslide
- X36.1XXA - Avalanche, landslide, or mudslide, initial encounter
- X36.1XXD - Avalanche, landslide, or mudslide, subsequent encounter
- X36.1XXS - Avalanche, landslide, or mudslide, sequela
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code X36:
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- victim of mudslide of cataclysmic nature
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- transport accident involving collision with avalanche or landslide not in motion V01 V99
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category X36
7th Character 7th Character
Indicates that a seventh character is to be assigned to codes in a subcategory.
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Exposure to forces of nature (X30-X39)
Avalanche, landslide and other earth movements (X36)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020