External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Exposure to forces of nature (X30-X39)
- X34 - Earthquake NON-BILLABLE CODE
- X34.XXXA - Earthquake, initial encounter BILLABLE CODE
- X34.XXXD - Earthquake, subsequent encounter BILLABLE CODE
- X34.XXXS - Earthquake, sequela BILLABLE CODE
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- tidal wave tsunami due to earthquake X37.41
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code X34
7th Character 7th Character
Indicates that a seventh character is to be assigned to codes in a subcategory.
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela