Valid for Submission
D77 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of other disorders of blood and blood-forming organs in diseases classified elsewhere. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code D77 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like hyperimmune malarious splenomegaly or secondary cytopenia.
|Short Description:||Oth disord of bld/bld-frm organs in diseases classd elswhr|
|Long Description:||Other disorders of blood and blood-forming organs in diseases classified elsewhere|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code D77:
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- rupture of spleen due to Plasmodium vivax malaria B51.0
- splenitis, splenomegaly in late syphilis A52.79
- splenitis, splenomegaly in tuberculosis A18.85
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Manifestation diagnoses - Manifestation codes describe the manifestation of an underlying disease, not the disease itself, and therefore should not be used as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Hyperimmune malarious splenomegaly
- Secondary cytopenia
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code D77 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 814 - RETICULOENDOTHELIAL AND IMMUNITY DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 815 - RETICULOENDOTHELIAL AND IMMUNITY DISORDERS WITH CC
- 816 - RETICULOENDOTHELIAL AND IMMUNITY DISORDERS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert D77 to ICD-9
- 289.89 - Blood diseases NEC (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism (D50–D89)
Other disorders of blood and blood-forming organs (D70-D77)
Oth disord of bld/bld-frm organs in diseases classd elswhr (D77)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021