Valid for Submission
R65.11 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (sirs) of non-infectious origin with acute organ dysfunction. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R65.11 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute organ dysfunction due to systemic inflammatory response syndrome or systemic inflammatory response syndrome associated with organ dysfunction.
The code R65.11 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||SIRS of non-infectious origin w acute organ dysfunction|
|Long Description:||Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) of non-infectious origin with acute organ dysfunction|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code R65.11:
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code to identify specific acute organ dysfunction, such as:
- acute kidney failure N17
- acute respiratory failure J96.0
- critical illness myopathy G72.81
- critical illness polyneuropathy G62.81
- disseminated intravascular coagulopathy DIC D65
- encephalopathy metabolic septic G93.41
- hepatic failure K72.0
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R65.11 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute organ dysfunction due to systemic inflammatory response syndrome
- Systemic inflammatory response syndrome associated with organ dysfunction
Convert R65.11 to ICD-9
- 995.94 - SIRS-noninf w ac org dys
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
General symptoms and signs (R50-R69)
Symp and signs specifically assoc w sys inflam and infct (R65)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020