Valid for Submission
R87.629 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of unspecified abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R87.629 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like abnormal vaginal papanicolaou smear or atypical endocervical cells on vaginal papanicolaou smear or vaginal vault smear abnormal.
The code R87.629 is applicable to female patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient.
The code is commonly used in ob/gyn medical specialties to specify clinical concepts such as abnormal female genital cytology.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Unsp abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina|
|Long Description:||Unspecified abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code R87.629:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Abnormal Papanicolaou smear of vagina NOS
- Abnormal thin preparation smear of vagina NOS
- Abnormal vaginal cytology NOS
- Atypical endocervical cells of vagina NOS
- Atypical endometrial cells of vagina NOS
- Atypical glandular cells of vagina NOS
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R87.629 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for females only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal vaginal Papanicolaou smear
- Atypical endocervical cells on vaginal Papanicolaou smear
- Vaginal vault smear abnormal
Convert R87.629 to ICD-9
- 795.4 - Abn histologic find NEC (Approximate Flag)
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Abnormal findings on examination of other body fluids, substances and tissues, without diagnosis (R83-R89)
Abnormal findings in specimens from female genital organs (R87)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020