Not Valid for Submission
R87.62 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina
Header codes like R87.62 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina:
- R87.620 - Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance on cytologic smear of vagina (ASC-US)
- R87.621 - Atypical squamous cells cannot exclude high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (ASC-H)
- R87.622 - Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (LGSIL)
- R87.623 - High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (HGSIL)
- R87.624 - Cytologic evidence of malignancy on smear of vagina
- R87.625 - Unsatisfactory cytologic smear of vagina
- R87.628 - Other abnormal cytological findings on specimens from vagina
- R87.629 - Unspecified abnormal cytological findings in specimens from vagina
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code R87.62:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code to identify acquired absence of uterus and cervix, if applicable Z90.71
Type 1 ExcludesType 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- abnormal cytological findings in specimens from cervix uteri R87.61
- abnormal cytological findings in specimens from other female genital organs R87.69
- carcinoma in situ of vagina histologically confirmed D07.2
- vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia I VAIN I N89.0
- vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia II VAIN II N89.1
- vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia III VAIN III D07.2
- dysplasia mild moderate of vagina histologically confirmed N89
- severe dysplasia of vagina histologically confirmed D07.2
Type 2 ExcludesType 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.