Valid for Submission
R87.624 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of cytologic evidence of malignancy on smear of vagina. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R87.624 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like abnormal vaginal papanicolaou smear or cytological evidence of malignancy on vaginal papanicolaou smear or positive cytology findings or vaginal papanicolaou smear positive for malignant neoplasm.
The code R87.624 is applicable to female patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Cytologic evidence of malignancy on smear of vagina|
|Long Description:||Cytologic evidence of malignancy on smear of vagina|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R87.624 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for females only - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, these edits apply to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal vaginal Papanicolaou smear
- Cytological evidence of malignancy on vaginal Papanicolaou smear
- Positive cytology findings
- Vaginal Papanicolaou smear positive for malignant neoplasm
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R87.624 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 742 - UTERINE AND ADNEXA PROCEDURES FOR NON-MALIGNANCY WITH CC/MCC
- 743 - UTERINE AND ADNEXA PROCEDURES FOR NON-MALIGNANCY WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert R87.624 to ICD-9
- 795.16 - Pap smr vag-cytol malig
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Abnormal findings on examination of other body fluids, substances and tissues, without diagnosis (R83-R89)
Abnormal findings in specimens from female genital organs (R87)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021