R87.623 - High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (HGSIL)
|Short Description:||High grade intrepith lesion cyto smr vagn (HGSIL)|
|Long Description:||High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (HGSIL)|
|Status:||Valid for Submission|
R87.623 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on cytologic smear of vagina (hgsil). The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
This code is applicable to female patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient.
The code is commonly used in ob/gyn medical specialties to specify clinical concepts such as abnormal female genital cytology.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal vaginal Papanicolaou smear
- Cervicovaginal cytology: High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion or carcinoma
- High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion on vaginal Papanicolaou smear
Index to Diseases and Injuries References
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for this diagnosis code are found in the injuries and diseases index:
- - Abnormal, abnormality, abnormalities - See Also: Anomaly;
- - Papanicolaou (smear)
- - vagina - R87.629
- - Papanicolaou (smear)
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for females only - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, these edits apply to FEMALES only .
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|R87.623||795.14 - Pap smear vagina w HGSIL|
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016 (First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)