Valid for Submission
O68 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of labor and delivery complicated by abnormality of fetal acid-base balance. The code is valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code O68 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like antepartum fetal acidosis or fetal acidosis or intrapartum fetal acidosis.
The code O68 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Labor and delivery comp by abnlt of fetal acid-base balance|
|Long Description:||Labor and delivery complicated by abnormality of fetal acid-base balance|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code O68:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Fetal acidemia complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal acidosis complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal alkalosis complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal metabolic acidemia complicating labor and delivery
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- fetal stress NOS O77.9
- labor and delivery complicated by electrocardiographic evidence of fetal stress O77.8
- labor and delivery complicated by ultrasonic evidence of fetal stress O77.8
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- abnormality in fetal heart rate or rhythm O76
- labor and delivery complicated by meconium in amniotic fluid O77.0
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code O68 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Maternity diagnoses - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies in maternity cases by checking a patient's age and any diagnosis on the patient's record. The maternity code edits apply to patients age ange is 9–64 years inclusive (e.g., diabetes in pregnancy, antepartum pulmonary complication).
- Diagnoses for females only - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, these edits apply to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Antepartum fetal acidosis
- Fetal acidosis
- Intrapartum fetal acidosis
Convert O68 to ICD-9
- 656.31 - Fetal distress-delivered (Approximate Flag)
- 656.81 - Fet/plac prob NEC-deliv (Approximate Flag)
Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00–O99)
Complications of labor and delivery (O60-O77)
Labor and delivery comp by abnlt of fetal acid-base balance (O68)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020