Not Valid for Submission
D84 is a non-specific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of other immunodeficiencies. The code is not specific and is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Other immunodeficiencies
Non-specific codes like D84 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for other immunodeficiencies:
- SEVERE COMBINED IMMUNODEFICIENCY-. group of rare congenital disorders characterized by impairment of both humoral and cell mediated immunity leukopenia and low or absent antibody levels. it is inherited as an x linked or autosomal recessive defect. mutations occurring in many different genes cause human severe combined immunodeficiency scid.
- COMMON VARIABLE IMMUNODEFICIENCY-. heterogeneous group of immunodeficiency syndromes characterized by hypogammaglobulinemia of most isotypes variable b cell defects and the presence of recurrent bacterial infections.
- HYPER IGM IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME TYPE 1-. an x linked hyper igm immunodeficiency subtype resulting from mutation in the gene encoding cd40 ligand.
Information for Patients
Immune System and Disorders
Your immune system is a complex network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to defend against germs. It helps your body to recognize these "foreign" invaders. Then its job is to keep them out, or if it can't, to find and destroy them.
If your immune system cannot do its job, the results can be serious. Disorders of the immune system include
- Allergy and asthma - immune responses to substances that are usually not harmful
- Immune deficiency diseases - disorders in which the immune system is missing one or more of its parts
- Autoimmune diseases - diseases causing your immune system to attack your own body's cells and tissues by mistake
NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Agammaglobulinemia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Aging changes in immunity (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Chronic granulomatous disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Graft-versus-host disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Histiocytosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Immune response (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Immunodeficiency disorders (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Selective deficiency of IgA (Medical Encyclopedia)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]