Diagnosis Code A38
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code A38 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Includes Notes: Includes Notes
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- streptococcal sore throat (J02.0)
Information for Patients
Also called: Strep
Strep is short for Streptococcus, a type of bacteria. There are two types: group A and group B.
Group A strep causes
- Strep throat - a sore, red throat. Your tonsils may be swollen and have white spots on them.
- Scarlet fever - an illness that follows strep throat. It causes a red rash on the body.
- Impetigo - a skin infection
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Cellulitis and necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease)
Group B strep can cause blood infections, pneumonia and meningitis in newborns. A screening test during pregnancy can tell if you have it. If you do, I.V. antibiotics during labor can save your baby's life. Adults can also get group B strep infections, especially if they are elderly or already have health problems. Strep B can cause urinary tract infections, blood infections, skin infections and pneumonia in adults.
Antibiotics are used to treat strep infections.
NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Ecthyma (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Erysipelas (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Group B streptococcal septicemia of the newborn (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Group B streptococcus - pregnancy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Perianal streptococcal cellulitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Rheumatic fever (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Scarlet fever (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Strep throat (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Streptococcal screen (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Throat swab culture (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Toxic shock syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)