Valid for Submission
R40.3 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of persistent vegetative state. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R40.3 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like permanent vegetative state or persistent vegetative state.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Persistent vegetative state|
|Long Description:||Persistent vegetative state|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R40.3 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Permanent vegetative state
- Persistent vegetative state
- PERSISTENT VEGETATIVE STATE-. vegetative state refers to the neurocognitive status of individuals with severe brain damage in whom physiologic functions sleep wake cycles autonomic control and breathing persist but awareness including all cognitive function and emotion is abolished.
Convert R40.3 to ICD-9
- 780.03 - Persistent vegtv state
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Symptoms and signs involving cognition, perception, emotional state and behavior (R40-R46)
Somnolence, stupor and coma (R40)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020