Valid for Submission
R41.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of anterograde amnesia. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R41.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like amnesia for recent events or anterograde amnesia or uncompensated short term memory deficit.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Anterograde amnesia|
|Long Description:||Anterograde amnesia|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R41.1 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Amnesia for recent events
- Anterograde amnesia
- Uncompensated short term memory deficit
- AMNESIA ANTEROGRADE-. loss of the ability to form new memories beyond a certain point in time. this condition may be organic or psychogenic in origin. organically induced anterograde amnesia may follow craniocerebral trauma; seizures; anoxia; and other conditions which adversely affect neural structures associated with memory formation e.g. the hippocampus; fornix brain; mammillary bodies; and anterior thalamic nuclei. from memory 1997 jan mar;51 2:49 71
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R41.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 947 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITH MCC
- 948 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITHOUT MCC
Convert R41.1 to ICD-9
- 780.93 - Memory loss (Approximate Flag)
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Symptoms and signs involving cognition, perception, emotional state and behavior (R40-R46)
Oth symptoms and signs w cognitive functions and awareness (R41)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020