Valid for Submission
C46.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of kaposi's sarcoma, unspecified. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code C46.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like kaposi sarcoma of viscus, kaposi's sarcoma , kaposi's sarcoma - endemic, kaposi's sarcoma - sporadic, kaposi's sarcoma associated with aids, kaposi's sarcoma not associated with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, etc
|Short Description:||Kaposi's sarcoma, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Kaposi's sarcoma, unspecified|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code C46.9:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Kaposi's sarcoma of unspecified site
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code C46.9 are found in the index:
- - Sarcoma (of) - See Also: Neoplasm, connective tissue, malignant;
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Kaposi sarcoma of viscus
- Kaposi's sarcoma
- Kaposi's sarcoma - endemic
- Kaposi's sarcoma - sporadic
- Kaposi's sarcoma associated with AIDS
- Kaposi's sarcoma not associated with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- Kaposi's sarcoma of multiple organs
- Malignant neoplasm associated with AIDS
- SARCOMA KAPOSI-. a multicentric malignant neoplastic vascular proliferation characterized by the development of bluish red cutaneous nodules usually on the lower extremities most often on the toes or feet and slowly increasing in size and number and spreading to more proximal areas. the tumors have endothelium lined channels and vascular spaces admixed with variably sized aggregates of spindle shaped cells and often remain confined to the skin and subcutaneous tissue but widespread visceral involvement may occur. kaposi's sarcoma occurs spontaneously in jewish and italian males in europe and the united states. an aggressive variant in young children is endemic in some areas of africa. a third form occurs in about 0.04% of kidney transplant patients. there is also a high incidence in aids patients. from dorland 27th ed & holland et al. cancer medicine 3d ed pp2105 7 hhv 8 is the suspected cause.
- HERPESVIRUS 8 HUMAN-. a species in the genus rhadinovirus subfamily gammaherpesvirinae isolated from patients with aids related and "classical" kaposi sarcoma.
- FIBROBLAST GROWTH FACTOR 4-. a heparin binding fibroblast growth factor that may play a role in limb buds development.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code C46.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 606 - MINOR SKIN DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 607 - MINOR SKIN DISORDERS WITHOUT MCC
Convert C46.9 to ICD-9
- 176.9 - Kaposi's sarcoma NOS
Malignant neoplasms of mesothelial and soft tissue (C45-C49)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021