Valid for Submission
Z76.2 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of encounter for health supervision and care of other healthy infant and child. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z76.2 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like at risk for delayed development, at risk of impaired infant development, battered baby suspect - fh, cot death liability, high risk infant, maternal alcohol abuse, etc The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
The code Z76.2 is applicable for patients aged 0 through 17 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Encntr for hlth suprvsn and care of healthy infant and child|
|Long Description:||Encounter for health supervision and care of other healthy infant and child|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z76.2:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Encounter for medical or nursing care or supervision of healthy infant under circumstances such as adverse socioeconomic conditions at home
- Encounter for medical or nursing care or supervision of healthy infant under circumstances such as awaiting foster or adoptive placement
- Encounter for medical or nursing care or supervision of healthy infant under circumstances such as maternal illness
- Encounter for medical or nursing care or supervision of healthy infant under circumstances such as number of children at home preventing or interfering with normal care
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z76.2 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Pediatric diagnoses - Pediatric. Age range is 0–17 years inclusive (e.g., Reye’s syndrome, routine child health exam).
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- At risk for delayed development
- At risk of impaired infant development
- Battered baby suspect - FH
- Cot death liability
- High risk infant
- Maternal alcohol abuse
- One of triplets
- One of twins
- Risk factor - been on SCBU
Present on Admission (POA)
Z76.2 is exempt from POA reporting - The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement. Review other POA exempt codes here .
CMS POA Indicator Options and Definitions
|POA Indicator Code||POA Reason for Code||CMS will pay the CC/MCC DRG?|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|W||Clinically undetermined - unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|1||Unreported/Not used - Exempt from POA reporting. ||NO|
Convert Z76.2 to ICD-9
- V20.1 - Care of healthy chld NEC
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Persons encountering health services in other circumstances (Z69-Z76)
Persons encountering health services in other circumstances (Z76)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020