Not Valid for Submission
X32 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of exposure to sunlight. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Exposure to sunlight|
|Long Description:||Exposure to sunlight|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code X32:
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- man-made radiation tanning bed W89
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- radiation-related disorders of the skin and subcutaneous tissue L55 L59
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code X32
7th Character 7th Character
Indicates that a seventh character is to be assigned to codes in a subcategory.
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
Index of External Cause of Injuries
References found for the code X32 in the External Cause of Injuries Index:
- Overexposure(accidental) (to)
- Radiation(exposure to)
- light sources (man-made visible and ultraviolet)
- Radiation(exposure to)
- ultraviolet (light) (man-made)
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Exposure to forces of nature (X30-X39)
Exposure to sunlight (X32)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020