Information for Patients
Problems with the penis can cause pain and affect a man's sexual function and fertility. Penis disorders include
- Erectile dysfunction - inability to get or keep an erection
- Priapism - a painful erection that does not go away
- Peyronie's disease - bending of the penis during an erection due to a hard lump called a plaque
- Balanitis - inflammation of the skin covering the head of the penis, most often in men and boys who have not been circumcised
- Penile cancer - a rare form of cancer, highly curable when caught early
Wounds and Injuries
An injury is damage to your body. It is a general term that refers to harm caused by accidents, falls, hits, weapons, and more. In the U.S., millions of people injure themselves every year. These injuries range from minor to life-threatening. Injuries can happen at work or play, indoors or outdoors, driving a car, or walking across the street.
Wounds are injuries that break the skin or other body tissues. They include cuts, scrapes, scratches, and punctured skin. They often happen because of an accident, but surgery, sutures, and stitches also cause wounds. Minor wounds usually aren't serious, but it is important to clean them. Serious and infected wounds may require first aid followed by a visit to your doctor. You should also seek attention if the wound is deep, you cannot close it yourself, you cannot stop the bleeding or get the dirt out, or it does not heal.
Other common types of injuries include
- Animal bites
- Electrical injuries
- Sprains and strains