2024 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code S06.1XAA
Traumatic cerebral edema with loss of consciousness status unknown, initial encounter
Clinical Category is Traumatic brain injury (TBI); concussion, initial encounter
- CCSR Category Code: INJ008
- Inpatient Default CCSR: Y - Yes, default inpatient assignment for principal diagnosis or first-listed diagnosis.
- Outpatient Default CCSR: Y - Yes, default outpatient assignment for principal diagnosis or first-listed diagnosis.
The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from block Intracranial injury (S06). Use the following options for the aplicable episode of care:
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
S061XAA replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10-CM code(s):
- FY 2024 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2023 through 9/30/2024
- FY 2023 - Code Added, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
 Not chronic - A diagnosis code that does not fit the criteria for chronic condition (duration, ongoing medical treatment, and limitations) is considered not chronic. Some codes designated as not chronic are acute conditions. Other diagnosis codes that indicate a possible chronic condition, but for which the duration of the illness is not specified in the code description (i.e., we do not know the condition has lasted 12 months or longer) also are considered not chronic.