Valid for Submission
S02.600K is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of fracture of unspecified part of body of mandible, unspecified side, subsequent encounter for fracture with nonunion. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code S02.600K might also be used to specify conditions or terms like closed fracture of body of mandible or closed fracture of mandible, multiple sites or open fracture of body of mandible. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
|Short Description:||Fx unsp part of body of mandible, unspecified side, 7thK|
|Long Description:||Fracture of unspecified part of body of mandible, unspecified side, subsequent encounter for fracture with nonunion|
This code was replaced in the 2020 ICD-10 code set with the code(s) listed below. The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2019. This code was replaced for the FY 2020 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020).
- S02.601K - Fracture of unspecified part of body of right mandible, 7thK
- S02.602K - Fracture of unspecified part of body of left mandible, 7thK
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Closed fracture of body of mandible
- Closed fracture of mandible, multiple sites
- Open fracture of body of mandible
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code S02.600K is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 564 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 565 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITH CC
- 566 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Present on Admission (POA)
S02.600K is exempt from POA reporting - The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement. Review other POA exempt codes here .
CMS POA Indicator Options and Definitions
|POA Indicator Code||POA Reason for Code||CMS will pay the CC/MCC DRG?|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|W||Clinically undetermined - unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|1||Unreported/Not used - Exempt from POA reporting. ||NO|
Convert S02.600K to ICD-9
- 733.82 - Nonunion of fracture (Approximate Flag)
Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00–T98)
Injuries to the head (S00-S09)
Fracture of skull and facial bones (S02)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - Code Updated, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- New Description: Fracture of unspecified part of body of mandible, subsequent encounter for fracture with nonunion
- Previous Description: Fracture of unspecified part of body of mandible, subsequent encounter for fracture with nonunion
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020