Diagnosis Code B39.1
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code B39.1 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 177 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITH MCC
- 178 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITH CC
- 179 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 115.05 - Histoplasm caps pneumon (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Chronic pulmonary histoplasmosis
- Pulmonary histoplasmosis
Information for Patients
Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by a fungus (or mold) called Histoplasma. The fungus is common in the eastern and central United States. It grows in soil and material contaminated with bat or bird droppings. You get infected by breathing the fungal spores. You cannot get the infection from someone else.
Histoplasmosis is often mild, with no symptoms. If you do get sick, it usually affects your lungs. Symptoms include feeling ill, fever, chest pains, and a dry cough. In severe cases, histoplasmosis spreads to other organs. This is called disseminated disease. It is more common in infants, young children, seniors, and people with immune system problems.
Your doctor might do a variety of tests to make the diagnosis, including a chest x-ray, CT scan of the lungs, or examining blood, urine, or tissues for signs of the fungus. Mild cases usually get better without treatment. Treatment of severe or chronic cases is with antifungal drugs.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Histoplasma complement fixation (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Histoplasma skin test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Histoplasmosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Histoplasmosis - acute (primary) pulmonary (Medical Encyclopedia)