Information for Medical Professionals
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for males only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to MALES only
Diagnostic Related Groups
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). The diagnosis code R86.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V36.0 applicable from 10/01/2018 through 09/30/2019.
- 729 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITH CC/MCC
- 730 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert R86.9 to ICD-9
The following crosswalk between ICD-10 to ICD-9 is based based on the General Equivalence Mappings (GEMS) information:
- 792.2 - Abn findings-semen (Approximate Flag)
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Semen exam: abnormal
- Special male test abnormal
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R86.9 are found in the index: