Valid for Submission
R82.3 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of hemoglobinuria. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R82.3 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acquired methemoglobinuria, carboxyhemoglobinuria, hemoglobinuria, methemoglobinuria, postparturient hemoglobinuria, sulfhemoglobinuria, etc
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code R82.3:
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- hemoglobinuria due to hemolysis from external causes NEC D59.6
- hemoglobinuria due to paroxysmal nocturnal Marchiafava-Micheli D59.5
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R82.3 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acquired methemoglobinuria
- Postparturient hemoglobinuria
- HEMOGLOBINURIA-. the presence of free hemoglobin in the urine indicating hemolysis of erythrocytes within the vascular system. after saturating the hemoglobin binding proteins haptoglobins free hemoglobin begins to appear in the urine.
- HEMOGLOBINURIA PAROXYSMAL-. a condition characterized by the recurrence of hemoglobinuria caused by intravascular hemolysis. in cases occurring upon cold exposure paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria usually after infections there is a circulating antibody which is also a cold hemolysin. in cases occurring during or after sleep paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria the clonal hematopoietic stem cells exhibit a global deficiency of cell membrane proteins.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R82.3 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 695 - KIDNEY AND URINARY TRACT SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITH MCC
- 696 - KIDNEY AND URINARY TRACT SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITHOUT MCC
Convert R82.3 to ICD-9
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Abnormal findings on examination of urine, without diagnosis (R80-R82)
Other and unspecified abnormal findings in urine (R82)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020