Not Valid for Submission
G13 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of systemic atrophies primarily affecting central nervous system in diseases classified elsewhere. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Systemic atrophies aff cnsl in diseases classd elswhr
Header codes like G13 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for systemic atrophies aff cnsl in diseases classd elswhr:
- G13.0 - Paraneoplastic neuromyopathy and neuropathy
- G13.1 - Other systemic atrophy primarily affecting central nervous system in neoplastic disease
- G13.2 - Systemic atrophy primarily affecting the central nervous system in myxedema
- G13.8 - Systemic atrophy primarily affecting central nervous system in other diseases classified elsewhere
Information for Patients
The brain is the control center of the body. It controls thoughts, memory, speech, and movement. It regulates the function of many organs. When the brain is healthy, it works quickly and automatically. However, when problems occur, the results can be devastating.
Inflammation in the brain can lead to problems such as vision loss, weakness and paralysis. Loss of brain cells, which happens if you suffer a stroke, can affect your ability to think clearly. Brain tumors can also press on nerves and affect brain function. Some brain diseases are genetic. And we do not know what causes some brain diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease.
The symptoms of brain diseases vary widely depending on the specific problem. In some cases, damage is permanent. In other cases, treatments such as surgery, medicines, or physical therapy can correct the source of the problem or improve symptoms.
- Basal ganglia dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Brain abscess (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Brain surgery (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Central pontine myelinolysis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) collection (Medical Encyclopedia)
- EEG (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hepatic encephalopathy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Pseudotumor cerebri (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)