Diagnosis Code O04
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code O04 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Includes Notes: Includes Notes
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- complications following (induced) termination of pregnancy
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means “NOT CODED HERE!” An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- encounter for elective termination of pregnancy, uncomplicated (Z33.2)
- failed attempted termination of pregnancy (O07.-)
Information for Patients
An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It uses medicine or surgery to remove the embryo or fetus and placenta from the uterus. The procedure is done by a licensed health care professional.
The decision to end a pregnancy is very personal. If you are thinking of having an abortion, most healthcare providers advise counseling.
- Abortion - medical
- Abortion - surgical
- Abortion - surgical - aftercare
- Ending pregnancy with medications