Valid for Submission
Z33.2 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of encounter for elective termination of pregnancy. The code Z33.2 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code Z33.2 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like complete legal termination of pregnancy, counseling for termination of pregnancy done, elective termination of pregnancy, fetal death due to termination of pregnancy, illegal termination of pregnancy without complication , induced termination of pregnancy in first trimester, etc.
The code Z33.2 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z33.2:
Type 1 ExcludesType 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z33.2 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Complete legal termination of pregnancy
- Counseling for termination of pregnancy done
- Elective termination of pregnancy
- Fetal death due to termination of pregnancy
- Illegal termination of pregnancy without complication
- Induced termination of pregnancy in first trimester
- Induced termination of pregnancy in second trimester
- Legal termination of pregnancy
- Legal termination of pregnancy without complication
- Patient requested procedure
- Requests pregnancy termination
- Termination of pregnancy
- Termination of pregnancy on demand
- Termination of pregnancy without complication
- Therapeutic termination of pregnancy
Convert Z33.2 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code Z33.2 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It uses medicine or surgery to remove the embryo or fetus and placenta from the uterus. The procedure is done by a licensed health care professional.
The decision to end a pregnancy is very personal. If you are thinking of having an abortion, most health care providers advise counseling.
- Abortion - medical (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Abortion - surgical (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Abortion - surgical - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ending pregnancy with medications (Medical Encyclopedia)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]