Z33.2 - Encounter for elective termination of pregnancy
|Short Description:||Encounter for elective termination of pregnancy|
|Long Description:||Encounter for elective termination of pregnancy|
|Status:||Valid for Submission|
Z33.2 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of encounter for elective termination of pregnancy. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The code Z33.2 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Complete legal termination of pregnancy
- Counseling for termination of pregnancy done
- Elective termination of pregnancy
- Fetal death due to termination of pregnancy
- Induced termination of pregnancy in first trimester
- Induced termination of pregnancy in second trimester
- Legal termination of pregnancy
- Patient requested procedure
- Requests pregnancy termination
- Termination of pregnancy
- Termination of pregnancy on demand
- Termination of pregnancy without complication
- Therapeutic termination of pregnancy
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with coding notes and guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to this diagnosis code:
Type 1 ExcludesType 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Index to Diseases and Injuries References
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for this diagnosis code are found in the injuries and diseases index:
- - Abortion (complete) (spontaneous) - O03.9
- - induced (encounter for) - Z33.2
- - Termination
- - pregnancy, elective - Z33.2
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Maternity diagnoses - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies in maternity cases by checking a patient's age and any diagnosis on the patient's record. The maternity code edits apply to patients age ange is 9–64 years inclusive (e.g., diabetes in pregnancy, antepartum pulmonary complication).
- Diagnoses for females only - The Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, these edits apply to FEMALES only .
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|Z33.2||635.90 - Legal abort uncompl-unsp|
|Approximate Flag - The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 and ICD-9 codes and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.|
An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It is done by a licensed health care professional. It can be done two different ways:
- Medication abortion, which uses medicines to end the pregnancy. It is sometimes called a "medical abortion" or "abortion with pills."
- Procedural abortion, a procedure to remove the pregnancy from the uterus. It is sometimes called a "surgical abortion."
If you are thinking of having an abortion, talk with your health care provider. Your provider can explain how the procedures are done, as well as the risks and benefits of each.
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016 (First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)