Diagnosis Code O04.83
Information for Medical Professionals
The following edits are applicable to this code:
Maternity diagnoses - Maternity. Age range is 12–55 years inclusive (e.g., diabetes in pregnancy, antepartum pulmonary complication).
Diagnoses for females only - Diagnoses for females only.
Convert to ICD-9
- 635.42 - Leg ab w metab dis-comp (Approximate Flag)
- Complete illegal termination of pregnancy with metabolic disorder
- Complete legal termination of pregnancy
- Complete legal termination of pregnancy with metabolic disorder
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Illegal termination of pregnancy complicated by metabolic disorder
- Illegal termination of pregnancy with electrolyte imbalance
- Illegal termination of pregnancy, complete
- Illegal termination of pregnancy, incomplete
- Incomplete illegal termination of pregnancy with metabolic disorder
- Induced termination of pregnancy complicated by electrolyte imbalance
- Induced termination of pregnancy complicated by metabolic disorder
- Legal termination of pregnancy complicated by metabolic disorder
- Legal termination of pregnancy with electrolyte imbalance
Index to Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code O04.83 in the Index to Diseases and Injuries:
- - Abortion (complete) (spontaneous) - O03.9
Information for Patients
An abortion is a procedure to end a pregnancy. It uses medicine or surgery to remove the embryo or fetus and placenta from the uterus. The procedure is done by a licensed health care professional.
The decision to end a pregnancy is very personal. If you are thinking of having an abortion, most health care providers advise counseling.
- Abortion - medical (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Abortion - surgical (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Abortion - surgical - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ending pregnancy with medications (Medical Encyclopedia)
General Equivalence Map Definitions
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- Approximate Flag - The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- No Map Flag - The no map flag indicates that a code in the source system is not linked to any code in the target system.
- Combination Flag - The combination flag indicates that more than one code in the target system is required to satisfy the full equivalent meaning of a code in the source system.
Present on Admission
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.