Valid for Submission
Z49.32 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of encounter for adequacy testing for peritoneal dialysis. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z49.32 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like complies with analysis of peritoneal dialysate or inadequate monitoring of dose delivery of peritoneal dialysis or non-compliance with analysis of peritoneal dialysate or peritoneal dialysis finding. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
The code Z49.32 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Encounter for adequacy testing for peritoneal dialysis|
|Long Description:||Encounter for adequacy testing for peritoneal dialysis|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z49.32:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Encounter for peritoneal equilibration test
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z49.32 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Complies with analysis of peritoneal dialysate
- Inadequate monitoring of dose delivery of peritoneal dialysis
- Non-compliance with analysis of peritoneal dialysate
- Peritoneal dialysis finding
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code Z49.32 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 698 - OTHER KIDNEY AND URINARY TRACT DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 699 - OTHER KIDNEY AND URINARY TRACT DIAGNOSES WITH CC
- 700 - OTHER KIDNEY AND URINARY TRACT DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Present on Admission (POA)
Z49.32 is exempt from POA reporting - The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement. Review other POA exempt codes here .
CMS POA Indicator Options and Definitions
|POA Indicator Code||POA Reason for Code||CMS will pay the CC/MCC DRG?|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|W||Clinically undetermined - unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|1||Unreported/Not used - Exempt from POA reporting. ||NO|
Convert Z49.32 to ICD-9
- V56.32 - Peritoneal dialysis test (Approximate Flag)
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Encounters for other specific health care (Z40-Z53)
Encounter for care involving renal dialysis (Z49)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020