Not Valid for Submission
Z01.41 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of encounter for routine gynecological examination. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Encounter for routine gynecological examination|
|Long Description:||Encounter for routine gynecological examination|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- Z01.411 - Encounter for gynecological examination (general) (routine) with abnormal findings
- Z01.419 - Encounter for gynecological examination (general) (routine) without abnormal findings
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z01.41:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Encounter for general gynecological examination with or without cervical smear
- Encounter for gynecological examination (general) (routine) NOS
- Encounter for pelvic examination (annual) (periodic)
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- for screening for human papillomavirus, if applicable, Z11.51
- for screening vaginal pap smear, if applicable Z12.72
- to identify acquired absence of uterus, if applicable Z90.71
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- gynecologic examination status-post hysterectomy for malignant condition Z08
- screening cervical pap smear not a part of a routine gynecological examination Z12.4
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Persons encountering health services for examinations (Z00-Z13)
Encntr for oth sp exam w/o complaint, suspected or reprtd dx (Z01)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020