C11.1 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of malignant neoplasm of posterior wall of nasopharynx. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The following anatomical sites found in the Table of Neoplasms reference this diagnosis code given the correct histological behavior: Neoplasm, neoplastic adenoid (pharynx) (tissue) or Neoplasm, neoplastic nasopharynx, nasopharyngeal wall posterior or Neoplasm, neoplastic pharynx, pharyngeal bursa or Neoplasm, neoplastic pharynx, pharyngeal tonsil or Neoplasm, neoplastic tonsil pharyngeal .
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acantholytic squamous cell carcinoma
- Adenoid squamous cell carcinoma of nasopharynx
- Malignant tumor of adenoid
- Malignant tumor of posterior wall of nasopharynx
- Neoplasm of adenoid
- Primary malignant neoplasm of adenoid
- Primary malignant neoplasm of posterior wall of nasopharynx
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of pharyngeal tonsil
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of posterior wall of nasopharynx
- Squamous cell carcinoma of posterior wall of nasopharynx
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with coding notes and guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to this diagnosis code:
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Malignant neoplasm of adenoid
- Malignant neoplasm of pharyngeal tonsil
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|C11.1||147.1 - Mal neo post nasopharynx|
Table of Neoplasms
This code is referenced in the table of neoplasms by anatomical site. For each site there are six possible code numbers according to whether the neoplasm in question is malignant, benign, in situ, of uncertain behavior, or of unspecified nature. The description of the neoplasm will often indicate which of the six columns is appropriate.
Where such descriptors are not present, the remainder of the Index should be consulted where guidance is given to the appropriate column for each morphological (histological) variety listed. However, the guidance in the Index can be overridden if one of the descriptors mentioned above is present.
»adenoid (pharynx) (tissue)
Throat cancer is a type of head and neck cancer. Throat cancer has different names, depending on which part of the throat is affected. The different parts of your throat are called the oropharynx, the hypopharynx, the nasopharynx, and the larynx, or voice box.
The main risk factors for throat cancer are using tobacco heavy drinking. Certain types of throat cancer also have other risk factors. For example, having HPV is a risk factor for oropharyngeal cancer.
Symptoms of throat cancer may include:
- A sore throat that does not go away
- A lump in the neck
- Pain or ringing in the ears
- Trouble swallowing
- Ear pain
To diagnose throat cancers, doctors may do a physical exam and history, imaging tests, and a biopsy. You may also need other tests, depending on the type of cancer. Treatments include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. Treatment for some types of throat cancer may also include targeted therapy. Targeted therapy uses drugs or other substances that attack specific cancer cells with less harm to normal cells.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016 (First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)