Diagnosis Code J39.9
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 478.9 - Upper resp dis NEC/NOS (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Disorder of nasopharynx
- Disorder of upper respiratory system
- Disorder of uvula of palate
- Inflammatory disorder of upper respiratory tract
- Throat symptom
Information for Patients
The bronchi are two tubes that branch off the trachea, or windpipe. The bronchi carry air to your lungs.
The most common problem with the bronchi is bronchitis, an inflammation of the tubes. Bronchitis can be acute or chronic. Other problems include
- Bronchiectasis, a condition in which damage to the airways causes them to widen and become flabby and scarred
- Exercise-induced bronchospasm, which happens when the airways shrink while you are exercising
- Bronchiolitis, an inflammation of the small airways that branch off from the bronchi
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia, a condition affecting infants
Treatment of bronchial disorders depends on the cause.
- Bronchiolitis - discharge
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Postural drainage
- Tracheal rupture