Diagnosis Code J38.5
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 478.75 - Laryngeal spasm
- Acute laryngotracheitis
- Laryngeal spasm
- Laryngismus paralyticus
- Laryngismus stridulus
- Spasmodic croup
Index of Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code J38.5 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Inclusion Terms: Inclusion terms
List of terms is included under some codes. These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Laryngismus (stridulus)
Information for Patients
Also called: Pharyngeal disorders
Your throat is a tube that carries food to your esophagus and air to your windpipe and larynx. The technical name for your throat is the pharynx.
Throat problems are common. You've probably had a sore throat. The cause is usually a viral infection, but other causes include allergies, infection with strep bacteria or the leaking of stomach acids back up into the esophagus, called GERD.
Other problems that affect the throat include
- Tonsillitis - inflammation of the tonsils
- Croup - inflammation, usually in small children, which causes a barking cough
- Laryngitis - swelling of the voice box, which can cause a hoarse voice or loss of voice
Most throat problems are minor and go away on their own. Treatments, when needed, depend on the problem.
- Blockage of upper airway (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Epiglottitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Glossopharyngeal neuralgia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Herpangina (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Laryngitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Laryngoscopy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Retropharyngeal abscess (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Strep throat (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Throat swab culture (Medical Encyclopedia)