Valid for Submission
Z00.00 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of encounter for general adult medical examination without abnormal findings. The code Z00.00 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code Z00.00 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like caregiver annual health check, complete examination despite inadequate preparation or examination / signs. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
The code Z00.00 is applicable to adult patients aged 15 through 124 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a patient outside the stated age range.
The code is commonly used in family practice, internal medicine , ob/gyn medical specialties to specify clinical concepts such as general medical examination.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z00.00:
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Encounter for adult health check-up NOS
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z00.00 are found in the index:
- - Admission (for) - See Also: Encounter (for);
- - examination at health care facility (adult) - See Also: Examination; - Z00.00
- - Encounter (with health service) (for) - Z76.89
- - Examination (for) (following) (general) (of) (routine) - Z00.00
- - annual (adult) (periodic) (physical) - Z00.00
- - laboratory (as part of a general medical examination) - Z00.00
- - medical (adult) (for) (of) - Z00.00
- - general (adult) - Z00.00
- - periodic (adult) (annual) (routine) - Z00.00
- - radiological (as part of a general medical examination) - Z00.00
- - X-ray (of)
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Caregiver annual health check
- Complete examination despite inadequate preparation
- Examination / signs
Present on Admission (POA)
Convert Z00.00 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code Z00.00 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
Also called: Annual checkup, Annual physical examination, Routine physical examination
Regular health exams and tests can help find problems before they start. They also can help find problems early, when your chances for treatment and cure are better. Which exams and screenings you need depends on your age, health and family history, and lifestyle choices such as what you eat, how active you are, and whether you smoke.
To make the most of your next check-up, here are some things to do before you go:
- Review your family medical history
- Find out if you are due for any general screenings or vaccinations
- Write down a list of issues and questions to take with you
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Health screening - men - age 18 - 39 (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Health screening - men - age 40 - 64 (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Health screening - men - over 65 (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Physical exam frequency (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Well-child visits (Medical Encyclopedia)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]