Valid for Submission
B04 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of monkeypox. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code B04 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like human monkeypox or monkeypox.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code B04 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- MONKEYPOX VIRUS-. a species of orthopoxvirus causing an epidemic disease among captive primates.
- MONKEYPOX-. a viral disease infecting primates and rodents. its clinical presentation in humans is similar to smallpox including fever; headache; cough; and a painful rash. it is caused by monkeypox virus and is usually transmitted to humans through bites or via contact with an animal's blood. interhuman transmission is relatively low significantly less than smallpox.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code B04 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2020.
- 865 - VIRAL ILLNESS WITH MCC
- 866 - VIRAL ILLNESS WITHOUT MCC
Convert B04 to ICD-9
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Viral infections characterized by skin and mucous membrane lesions (B00-B09)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020