Diagnosis Code G04.8
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code G04.8 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Code Also: "Code also note"
A "code also" note instructs that two codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but this note does not provide sequencing direction.
- any associated seizure (G40.-, R56.9)
Information for Patients
Encephalitis is an inflammation of the brain. Usually the cause is a viral infection, but bacteria can also cause it. It can be mild or severe. Most cases are mild. You may have flu-like symptoms. With a mild case, you may just need rest, plenty of fluids, and a pain reliever.
Severe cases need immediate treatment. Symptoms of severe cases include
- Severe headache
- Sudden fever
In babies, additional symptoms may include constant crying, poor feeding, body stiffness, and bulging in the soft spots of the skull.
Severe cases may require a stay in the hospital. Treatments include oral and intravenous (IV) medicines to reduce inflammation and treat infection. Patients with breathing difficulties may need artificial respiration. Some people may need physical, speech, and occupational therapy once the illness is under control.
NIH: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) collection (Medical Encyclopedia)
- CSF analysis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Encephalitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine: What You Need to Know (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
Spinal Cord Diseases
Your spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that runs down the middle of your back. It carries signals back and forth between your body and your brain. It is protected by your vertebrae, which are the bone disks that make up your spine. If you have an accident that damages the vertebrae or other parts of the spine, this can also injure the spinal cord. Other spinal cord problems include
- Infections such as meningitis and polio
- Inflammatory diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Degenerative diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and spinal muscular atrophy
Symptoms vary but might include pain, numbness, loss of sensation and muscle weakness. These symptoms can occur around the spinal cord, and also in other areas such as your arms and legs. Treatments often include medicines and surgery.
- Epidural abscess (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spinal cord abscess (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spinal tumor (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Subacute combined degeneration (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Syphilitic myelopathy (Medical Encyclopedia)