Valid for Submission
N52.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of erectile dysfunction due to diseases classified elsewhere. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code N52.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like erectile dysfunction due to general medical condition, erectile dysfunction with diabetes mellitus, erectile dysfunction with type 1 diabetes mellitus, erectile dysfunction with type 2 diabetes mellitus, impotence of organic origin, neurogenic erectile dysfunction due to diabetes mellitus type 2, etc
The code N52.1 is applicable to adult patients aged 15 through 124 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Erectile dysfunction due to diseases classified elsewhere|
|Long Description:||Erectile dysfunction due to diseases classified elsewhere|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code N52.1:
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code N52.1 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Adult diagnoses - Adult. Age range is 15–124 years inclusive (e.g., senile delirium, mature cataract).
- Diagnoses for males only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to MALES only
- Manifestation diagnoses - Manifestation codes describe the manifestation of an underlying disease, not the disease itself, and therefore should not be used as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Erectile dysfunction due to general medical condition
- Erectile dysfunction with diabetes mellitus
- Erectile dysfunction with type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Erectile dysfunction with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Impotence of organic origin
- Neurogenic erectile dysfunction due to diabetes mellitus type 2
- Neuropathic impotence
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code N52.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 729 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITH CC/MCC
- 730 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert N52.1 to ICD-9
- 607.84 - Impotence, organic orign (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00–N99)
Diseases of male genital organs (N40-N53)
Male erectile dysfunction (N52)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020