Valid for Submission
N51 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of disorders of male genital organs in diseases classified elsewhere. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code N51 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like epididymitis associated with another disorder or male genital organ disorder associated with another disorder or orchitis associated with another disorder.
The code N51 is applicable to male patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-male patient.
|Short Description:||Disorders of male genital organs in diseases classd elswhr|
|Long Description:||Disorders of male genital organs in diseases classified elsewhere|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code N51:
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- underlying disease, such as:
- filariasis B74.0 B74.9
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- amebic balanitis A06.8
- candidal balanitis B37.42
- gonococcal balanitis A54.23
- gonococcal prostatitis A54.22
- herpesviral herpes simplex balanitis A60.01
- trichomonal prostatitis A59.02
- tuberculous prostatitis A18.14
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for males only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to MALES only
- Manifestation diagnoses - Manifestation codes describe the manifestation of an underlying disease, not the disease itself, and therefore should not be used as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Epididymitis associated with another disorder
- Male genital organ disorder associated with another disorder
- Orchitis associated with another disorder
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code N51 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 729 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITH CC/MCC
- 730 - OTHER MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert N51 to ICD-9
- 608.81 - Male gen dis in oth dis (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00–N99)
Diseases of male genital organs (N40-N53)
Disorders of male genital organs in diseases classd elswhr (N51)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020