Diagnosis Code M48.12
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code M48.12 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V35.0)
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 721.6 - Ankyl vert hyperostosis (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
Information for Patients
Neck Injuries and Disorders
Any part of your neck - muscles, bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, or nerves - can cause neck problems. Neck pain is very common. Pain may also come from your shoulder, jaw, head, or upper arms.
Muscle strain or tension often causes neck pain. The problem is usually overuse, such as from sitting at a computer for too long. Sometimes you can strain your neck muscles from sleeping in an awkward position or overdoing it during exercise. Falls or accidents, including car accidents, are another common cause of neck pain. Whiplash, a soft tissue injury to the neck, is also called neck sprain or strain.
Treatment depends on the cause, but may include applying ice, taking pain relievers, getting physical therapy or wearing a cervical collar. You rarely need surgery.
- Cervical MRI scan (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cervical spine CT scan (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cervical spondylosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Neck lump (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Neck pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Neck pain or spasms -- self care (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Neck x-ray (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spinal fusion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Torticollis (Medical Encyclopedia)