Diagnosis Code M46.24
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code M46.24 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V35.0)
- 456 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITH
- 457 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITH
- 458 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITH
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 730.28 - Osteomyelit NOS-oth site (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Acute osteomyelitis of thoracic spine
- Acute osteomyelitis of vertebra
- Brodie's abscess
- Brodie's abscess of thoracic spine
- Chronic osteomyelitis of thoracic spine
- Chronic osteomyelitis of vertebra
- Infection of thoracic spine
- Subacute osteomyelitis of thoracic spine
- Vertebral abscess
Information for Patients
Like other parts of the body, bones can get infected. The infections are usually bacterial, but can also be fungal. They may spread to the bone from nearby skin or muscles, or from another part of the body through the bloodstream. People who are at risk for bone infections include those with diabetes, poor circulation, or recent injury to the bone. You may also be at risk if you are having hemodialysis.
Symptoms of bone infections include
- Pain in the infected area
- Chills and fever
- Swelling, warmth, and redness
A blood test or imaging test such as an x-ray can tell if you have a bone infection. Treatment includes antibiotics and often surgery.
- Bone lesion biopsy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bone pain or tenderness (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Disseminated tuberculosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osteomyelitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osteomyelitis - children (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osteomyelitis - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)