Not Valid for Submission
B26 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of mumps. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- B26.0 - Mumps orchitis
- B26.1 - Mumps meningitis
- B26.2 - Mumps encephalitis
- B26.3 - Mumps pancreatitis
- B26.8 - Mumps with other complications
- B26.81 - Mumps hepatitis
- B26.82 - Mumps myocarditis
- B26.83 - Mumps nephritis
- B26.84 - Mumps polyneuropathy
- B26.85 - Mumps arthritis
- B26.89 - Other mumps complications
- B26.9 - Mumps without complication
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code B26:
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- epidemic parotitis
- infectious parotitis
- MUMPS-. an acute infectious disease caused by rubulavirus spread by direct contact airborne droplet nuclei fomites contaminated by infectious saliva and perhaps urine and usually seen in children under the age of 15 although adults may also be affected. from dorland 28th ed
- MUMPS VACCINE-. vaccines used to prevent infection by mumps virus. best known is the live attenuated virus vaccine of chick embryo origin used for routine immunization of children and for immunization of adolescents and adults who have not had mumps or been immunized with live mumps vaccine. children are usually immunized with measles mumps rubella combination vaccine.
- MUMPS VIRUS-. the type species of rubulavirus that causes an acute infectious disease in humans affecting mainly children. transmission occurs by droplet infection.
- VIRAL FUSION PROTEINS-. proteins usually glycoproteins found in the viral envelopes of a variety of viruses. they promote cell membrane fusion and thereby may function in the uptake of the virus by cells.
- MEASLES MUMPS RUBELLA VACCINE-. a combined vaccine used to prevent measles; mumps; and rubella.
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020