Diagnosis Code N83.5
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code N83.5 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Inclusion Terms: Inclusion terms
List of terms is included under some codes. These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Torsion of accessory tube
Information for Patients
The ovaries are part of the female reproductive system. Women have two ovaries, one on each side of the uterus. Each ovary is about the size and shape of an almond.
The ovaries produce and store a woman's eggs. During ovulation, an ovary releases an egg. If that egg is fertilized by a sperm, a pregnancy can occur. Ovaries also make the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. When a woman goes through menopause, her ovaries stop making those hormones and releasing eggs.
Problems with the ovaries include
- Ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cysts and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Premature ovarian failure
- Ovarian torsion, a twisting of the ovary
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ovarian overproduction of androgens (Medical Encyclopedia)