Diagnosis Code W19.XXXS
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- E929.3 - Late eff accidental fall (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Accidental fall
- Accidental strangulation
- Accidental strangulation by clothing
- Accidental strangulation by clothing in fall
- Engaged in falling
- Facial fracture due to fall
- Fall at construction site
- Fall due to failure of support
- Fall due to loss of equilibrium
- Fall due to seizure
- Fall in home
- Fall in nursing home
- Fall on concrete
- Fall on hard surface
- Fall on soft surface
- Falling injury
- Fell onto outstretched hand
- Late effect of accidental fall
- Late effect of accidental injury
Information for Patients
A fall can change your life. If you're elderly, it can lead to disability and a loss of independence. If your bones are fragile from osteoporosis, you could break a bone, often a hip. But aging alone doesn't make people fall. Diabetes and heart disease affect balance. So do problems with circulation, thyroid or nervous systems. Some medicines make people dizzy. Eye problems or alcohol can be factors. Any of these things can make a fall more likely. Babies and young children are also at risk of falling - off of furniture and down stairs, for example.
Falls and accidents seldom "just happen." Taking care of your health by exercising and getting regular eye exams and physicals may help reduce your chance of falling. Getting rid of tripping hazards in your home and wearing nonskid shoes may also help. To reduce the chances of breaking a bone if you do fall, make sure that you get enough calcium and vitamin D.
NIH: National Institute on Aging
- After a fall in the hospital (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bathroom safety - adults (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Exercises to help prevent falls (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Preventing falls (Medical Encyclopedia)