Valid for Submission
U07.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of 2019-ncovacute respiratory disease. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code U07.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like antibody to sars-cov-2, antibody to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, antigen of sars-cov-2, antigen of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, covid-19, covid-19 vaccination, etc
|Short Description:||2019-nCoVacute respiratory disease|
|Long Description:||2019-nCoVacute respiratory disease|
New 2020 ICD-10 Code
U07.1 is new to ICD-10 code set for the FY 2020, effective October 1, 2019. The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2019. This is a new and revised code for the FY 2020 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020).
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code U07.1:
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- Use additional code to identify pneumonia or other manifestations
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- Coronavirus infection, unspecified B34.2
- Coronavirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere B97.2
- Pneumonia due to SARS-associated coronavirus J12.81
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Antibody to SARS-CoV-2
- Antibody to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
- Antigen of SARS-CoV-2
- Antigen of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
- COVID-19 vaccination
- Exposure to SARS-CoV-2
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 vaccination
- Suspected COVID-19
- Suspected disease caused by SARS-CoV-2
- Suspected disease caused by severe acute respiratory coronavirus 2
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code U07.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 177 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITH MCC
- 178 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITH CC
- 179 - RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND INFLAMMATIONS WITHOUT CC/MCC
- 791 - PREMATURITY WITH MAJOR PROBLEMS
- 793 - FULL TERM NEONATE WITH MAJOR PROBLEMS
- 974 - HIV WITH MAJOR RELATED CONDITION WITH MCC
- 975 - HIV WITH MAJOR RELATED CONDITION WITH CC
- 976 - HIV WITH MAJOR RELATED CONDITION WITHOUT CC/MCC
Codes for Special Purposes (U00–U99)
- FY 2020 - Code Added, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020