Not Valid for Submission
P01 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of newborn affected by maternal complications of pregnancy. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Newborn affected by maternal complications of pregnancy
Header codes like P01 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for newborn affected by maternal complications of pregnancy:
- P01.0 - Newborn affected by incompetent cervix
- P01.1 - Newborn affected by premature rupture of membranes
- P01.2 - Newborn affected by oligohydramnios
- P01.3 - Newborn affected by polyhydramnios
- P01.4 - Newborn affected by ectopic pregnancy
- P01.5 - Newborn affected by multiple pregnancy
- P01.6 - Newborn affected by maternal death
- P01.7 - Newborn affected by malpresentation before labor
- P01.8 - Newborn affected by other maternal complications of pregnancy
- P01.9 - Newborn affected by maternal complication of pregnancy, unspecified
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code P01:
Code FirstCode First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- any current condition in newborn
Type 2 ExcludesType 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- encounter for observation of newborn for suspected diseases and conditions ruled out Z05