Valid for Submission
O42.92 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of full-term premature rupture of membranes, unspecified as to length of time between rupture and onset of labor. The code O42.92 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code O42.92 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like premature rupture of membranes in full term pregnancy with onset of labor unknown.
The code O42.92 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like O42.92 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code O42.92:
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Premature rupture of membranes at or after 37 completed weeks of gestation, unspecified as to length of time between rupture and onset of labor
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code O42.92 are found in the index:
- - Pregnancy (single) (uterine) - See Also: Delivery and Puerperal; - Z33.1
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Premature rupture of membranes in full term pregnancy with onset of labor unknown
Diagnostic Related Groups - MS-DRG Mapping
Convert O42.92 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code O42.92 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
While childbirth usually goes well, complications can happen. They can cause a risk to the mother, baby, or both. Possible complications include
- Preterm (premature) labor, when labor starts before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy
- Problems with the umbilical cord
- Problems with the position of the baby, such as breech, in which the baby is going to come out feet first
- Birth injuries
For some of these problems, the baby may need to be delivered surgically by a Cesarean section.
- Assisted delivery with forceps (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Brachial plexus injury in newborns (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Breech birth (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Caput succedaneum (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Meconium aspiration syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Premature rupture of membranes (Medical Encyclopedia)