Valid for Submission
M12.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of arthropathy, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code M12.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute arthropathy, ankle joint inflamed, arthropathy, arthropathy associated with cystic fibrosis, arthropathy associated with syringomyelia, arthropathy of elbow, etc
|Short Description:||Arthropathy, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Arthropathy, unspecified|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code M12.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute arthropathy
- Ankle joint inflamed
- Arthropathy associated with cystic fibrosis
- Arthropathy associated with syringomyelia
- Arthropathy of elbow
- Arthropathy of joint of hand
- Arthropathy of knee joint
- Arthropathy of pelvis
- Arthropathy of right elbow
- Chronic arthropathy
- Human leukocyte antigen B27 negative arthropathy
- Subacute arthropathy
- ROTATOR CUFF TEAR ARTHROPATHY-. rapidly destructive shoulder joint and bone disease found mainly in elderly and predominantly in women. it is characterized by shoulder pain; joint instability; and the presence of crystalline calcium phosphates in the synovial fluid. it is associated with rotator cuff injuries.
- CRYSTAL ARTHROPATHIES-. joint disorders that are characterized by accumulation of microcrystals in and around the joint including in the synovial fluid. they are classified according to the chemical nature of the crystals such as calcium pyrophosphate; basic calcium phosphates; and monosodium urate see uric acid.
- ARTHROPATHY NEUROGENIC-. chronic progressive degeneration of the stress bearing portion of a joint with bizarre hypertrophic changes at the periphery. it is probably a complication of a variety of neurologic disorders particularly tabes dorsalis involving loss of sensation which leads to relaxation of supporting structures and chronic instability of the joint. dorland 27th ed
- JOINT DISEASES-. diseases involving the joints.
- ARTHRITIS PSORIATIC-. a type of inflammatory arthritis associated with psoriasis often involving the axial joints and the peripheral terminal interphalangeal joints. it is characterized by the presence of hla b27 associated spondylarthropathy and the absence of rheumatoid factor.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code M12.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2020.
- 553 - BONE DISEASES AND ARTHROPATHIES WITH MCC
- 554 - BONE DISEASES AND ARTHROPATHIES WITHOUT MCC
Convert M12.9 to ICD-9
- 716.90 - Arthropathy NOS-unspec (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (M00–M99)
Inflammatory polyarthropathies (M05-M14)
Other and unspecified arthropathy (M12)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020